The image shows an eye-level close-up shot of a young beautiful girl who appears to be about twenty years old. She has pale skin and long dark hair that's braid down in from of her. We can see that she is off center and also she is looking at something else because her eyes are not looking at the camera. From her face, she has a serious face, her eyes are focus on something, and it feels like she is trying to figure something out. The image is taken in a house and the girl is sitting down. The girls in crisp focus, but the background is out of focus. Still, we can the background had some purple curtain and a shirt hanging down from the door. We can see that the house is build up with woods because of the background. The girl in close-up has light shining from the left. 

This screen cap shows at the beginning of the film. This is when Cheng Chao-an just arrived in Thailand to work at the ice factory and move into the house. At first, Chiao-Mei was passing tea to Cheng Chao-an and the uncle and then she sits down and start staring at Cheng Chao-an. From her face, you can see that she looking at Cheng Chao-an's every move and when he turn to Chiao-Mei, she smiles at Cheng Chao-an. This shows us that Chiao-Mei is in love with Cheng Chao-an at the second she sees him. This also shows us that her eyes can't take off from Cheng Chao-an. 

Comments

  1. I thought your context for the screenshot was good. This moment doesn't seem like much at the start, but it does end up show us very clearly that Chiao Mei and Cheng Chao-an are interested in each other. It also was interesting that you wrote that it seems like Chiao Mei is focused on something as if she's trying to figure it out. It makes sense in context, since she's looking at someone she probably hasn't met before. She might be trying to see what kind of person Cheng Chao-an is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I agree with you that in the beginning that Chiao Mei and Cheng Chao-an are interested in each other. I wrote that Chiao Mei is focused on something and trying to figure it out because of her seriousness.

      Delete
  2. You did a great job describing the screencap in detail. I like how you included a description of the background, as many people seem to leave that out. It is interesting how you picked up on her seriousness. Just by glancing at the image, a viewer who hasn't seen the film might wonder what she is focused on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! When I was looking at this screenshot, I didn't really notice her seriousness until the end before I published my post. I think it would be nice for people to know that she is seriously looking for something.

      Delete
  3. The detailed description you gave about Mei's expression is literally so great it would make someone who never saw the movie wonder what she is looking at that makes her react like that. Also when you go into your scene analysis I like how you gave a general idea of when the scene occurred in the context of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! When I wrote this, I was thinking if the people that are reading this post didn't watch this film, what would the want to know about this screenshot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts